Merlot Ice Cream
- 1 Bottle of Merlot
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Vanilla Bean
1. Simmer the Merlot in a large pot over low-medium heat until it's reduced to 1 cup of liquid (approx. 1 hour) then set aside.
2. In a medium pot, whisk together the brown sugar and whipping cream. Cut your vanilla bean in half and scrape out the insides into the pot. Add the bean pod to the pot as well. Stir constantly over medium heat until it begins to steam, but before it boils.
3. Beat the egg yolks with a fork or mixer until light in color. Remove the vanilla bean pod from the cream and slowly add the cream to the egg yolks. It is important to add the cream slowly so the eggs don't curdle. Once you have all of the cream added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the pot and cook over medium heat until it thickens and turns into a custard. (If it sticks to the back of a wooden spoon it's done.) Remove from the heat.
4. Pour the mixture through the strainer and into a large bowl. Stir in the half & half and the reduced wine. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours before adding it to your ice cream maker. Follow the directions for your ice cream maker to freeze the mixture.